3 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp baking soda
5 teaspoons of baking powder
1 tsp of nutmeg
2 cups of blueberries
4 sticks of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of buttermilk
1 cup of blueberry preserve
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut each stick of butter into 4 and slice into cubes.
- Place the butter cubes in the freezer for 5 mins.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and mix until the dough starts to look like small peas. I used a standing mixer, but if you do not have one, use your hands to incorporate the butter into the flour.
- Pour the buttermilk and vanilla into the dough, and mix. The dough will be sticky and very soft.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Put 2 cups of flour on a cutting board, or kitchen counter.
- Add the dough onto the floured surface.
- Fold the dough to make it less sticky.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts.
- Pat dough into a 6-inch square about 3/4 inches thick.
- Then, using a floured knife, cut into four 3-inch squares.
- Cut the squares in half on the diagonal, to form eight triangles.
- Add a few tablespoons of coconut oil to a baking sheet. Transfer the scones to the baking sheet.
- Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15, or until the tops start to brown, and around the edges are brown.
- Warm the blueberry preserve in the microwave and add the zest from one lemon.
- Drizzle the preserve over the scones.
Hey everyone, this recipe can be used to make multiple variations of scones. You could make: orange and cranberry scones, chocolate, cheddar, pumpkin, basil and mozzarella or bacon and Cheddar Cheese. The possibilities are endless, so have fun creating amazing scones.